What is the Fathers Matter too (FMt) Parenting Programme?
FMt was put together to support father figures to develop the often unrecognised but vital role they play in the long term development of children.
For too long the role of a father has been played down even though all research suggests that children with active, positive father’s figures often fair better than their counterparts with absent or negative role models.
FMt is a parenting programme which has been tailored specifically to father figures.
It aims to build on the parenting skills you already have, teaches new strategies and promotes self-esteem.
This programme fuses various parenting techniques together. Most importantly it broaches subject matters and offers information which in many cases will never have been discussed.
The programme runs for 6 weeks and offers a four week extended group or 1:1 support run on period.
Aims of the Programme
- Help improve the quality of family life by helping fathers support their children
- Offer opportunities for fathers to evaluate and reflect on their levels of self-esteem and self-confidence
- Empower, motivate and enable fathers to share their experiences and skills to develop a range of positive strategies for coping more effectively as fathers
- Developing relationship between fathers and their children.
- Increase awareness around the role of fathers.
- Provide support to fathers to assist those that wish to go into or return to education, training or employment
- Develop the roles of fathers and increase their involvement and support to their children and their partners
- Provide fathers with a safe, supportive and non-judgemental and non-threatening environment in which to gain greater understanding of their roles
Objectives of the Programme
- To increase father’s confidence in their role in supporting their children’s learning.
- To increase father’s confidence in their role in supporting their children and their children’s learning relationship(s) that they have with their children.
- To celebrate the benefits that fathers bring to their children and families.
- To provide one to one support advice and guidance to fathers
- To provide an open door drop-in services
- To provide fathers with a better understanding around their children’s learning.
- To provide a welcoming, supportive environment with opportunities for fathers to share their experiences as fathers and learn from others.